Monday, September 20, 2010

Diversity


Some people say the hardest thing to deal with when going to college is the culture shock. For me, that was the one thing I was looking forward to. Coming from a small, and not very diverse, town in Eastern Iowa, I’ve had very few chances to experience diversity first hand. I’ve always enjoyed learning about different cultures, whether it was watching television shows or hosting foreign exchange students. Here at ISU there are so many opportunities to learn about different people. Not only from attending events hosted to promote education on diversity but also just in the normal day-to-day life of a college student. Meeting and talking to people before class or getting to know the people on my floor, I’ve been able to learn about different countries but also just differences in the United States.
It’s been fascinating talking about the differences with my friends and roommate about the differences between Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Even though they are in the same region of one single country, there are many differences from what they call pop and drinking fountains (soda and bubblers) to how grocery stores are set up (whole aisles dedicated to cheese?). Even in this short month since moving, I’ve learning a lot and I look forward to learning even more.

10 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about coming to Iowa State. My town was so small and there was not any diversity. I like hearing them say soda too! It's funny how different we are compared to one state over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would have to agree. my home town wasnt very diverse, but ive seen a lot more people of different cultures since ive been here. ive met many people from different states, and even different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that was a big thing for me. I feel like I've adjusted pretty good to all of the different cultures here. I think that the biggest cultural barrier for me is my Indain TA's that I have and can not understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone as well. I came from a very small town and my graduating class was 42. We had no diversity what so ever so it was a very big change for me too. I think its funny too how there are so many different ways to do things and people call things that you do something totally different. I even get made fun of the way I talk all the time, even by Iowa people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also came from a small town and there was no diversity. It is a huge shock to be here with so many people but I love it and it is a learning experience. I like the different ways people from all over can describe the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with the culture shock being what you looked forward too, because I did too. I love it. And I also find it kind of crazy that different states having different names for some things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking forward to the culture shock too because I came from a small town too and I was so ready to experience so much more. I can relate to Collin, I can't understand my Asian calc teacher at all and it's really frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came from a high school with almost the same level of diversity here, except the true international students. I still have learned a lot about other cultures. For instance I learned how to play pool by the China rules, which is very similar to America rules, but slight differences that completely change the game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Megan,

    As a lifelong Ames resident, I didn't have to do too much adjusting to how diverse the campus is. Throughout my education, I have met people from China, Korea, Africa, etc., etc. Most of the friends I made when I was young were children of graduate students at ISU. Once their parents got their degrees, my friends left Ames. It was sad, but there would always be a "new" kid coming the next year. So, it was just kind of a cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Culture shock was not something that effected me very much. I am from one of the largest high schools in the state with a high level of diversity. We have students from all backgrounds and host many exchange students every year.

    ReplyDelete