Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Confidence



The article Chelsee had us discuss this week was really interesting. Personally I really enjoy reading about science behind social interactions and behavior psychology but the whole time I was reading it I kept coming back to a TEDTalk I watched about body language by Amy Cuddy. When the article was talking about the mirror neurons and how the brain reacts to what it sees, instantly I thought about how the hypothesis of she presented about the importance of body language, not only picking up on others but also using our own to influence our own mind. 

In her Talk, Cuddy talked about how our body can trick our mind into thinking or feeling anything we want. Kind of like how if you force yourself to smile long enough you’ll start to feel happier. Mainly it covered the idea of a “power stance” which you can do before going into any stressful situation (such as a stressful interview) and it will help you project confidence. This can help you, as in the article, “leverage” yourself in the interaction. I’ve actually tried this technique a few times before tests and its actually helped me a lot. Confidence is key to get your mirror neurons the upper hand and hopefully help us next year in the classroom.

Here’s the video I talked about, its kind of long but a really great watch:

1 comment: