Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Barriers to Learning


This is another topic that is tough. Although there are many general barriers like Sebastian and Laura brought up in their lesson, each student will face different problems. I know my major barrier is time management. In the past two years I’ve tried about five or six different methods of trying to keep my focus and get everything done that is needed but at the end of my sophomore year I’m still trying to over come my barrier. This is the type of thing that as mentors we’ll have to be there for each individual and be able to help them through problems they may be having. For now we can only plan to address a wide range of barriers and some techniques to help. I know I’ve made lists upon lists of different tips and tricks to money and time management but I would need to research other problems students could face because those are the only two that I’ve had huge personal problems with. I think having everyone share during the lesson helped me identify some things I need to look into and think about at length to be really ready to help students next semester. I don’t want to come into the class and be ill prepared to help a student. Especially with barriers to learning, its not something you want the student to think is uncommon or unheard of because that might be discouraging to the student. They shouldn’t feel that having struggles isn’t normal or fixable. We want to create an environment where problems can be shared and worked through with ease to make sure they feel comfortable at ISU and stick with school. This topic always reminds be of my favorite quote of all time by Albert Einstein: Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment