Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ethics


What a tough topic! Ethics is something that varies from person to person and lives in gray area. Personally, I like things to be black or white, right or wrong and when something comes up that doesn’t fit cleanly it makes me a little crazy. I haven’t encountered any ethical dilemmas in the workplace but plenty in my personal life and its still hard for me. One thing that I have the most issue with is how people view common courtesy. My roommate is not the most down to earth person I know but I still love her but sometimes we disagree about what we consider common courtesy. I’m a planner and she’s a go with the flow kind of person and communication lines are crossed frequently and it causes some problems. Should she text me when dinner plans change that aren’t time sensitive? Should I tell her when I go on a spontaneous trip to a friends house when she’s studying? We work problems like these out but the difficulty comes from the differences our ethics have and the way they clash. How do you approach a problem that the parties involve view differently with ethics? Where in the gray area do you meet? Half way? A little to the left or right? Will the decision you make offend or hurt the other? Ethics is tough. Its something that will always have to be considered on a individual basis. Each group working together will have feel each others morals out and tediously work through issues that they face. I think as a group of mentors, we have felt our morals out and could make decisions as a group fairly easily.  Next semester will be a whole new story when 100 new standards are added to the mix. We’ll have to adapt and feel out the new moral standards and where our gray area lands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment