Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Diversity


Wow! What an eye opening lecture! A lot of great discussion was had during our ice cream social. I’m continually surprised with new points of view on diversity and ways to view differences. I think what surprised me the most was the polls about the pictures of the woman and man. Mostly about how we answered the same question about each but the answers took on different tones. We focused more on what the person might describe themselves as when looking at the woman but as a group took a completely different approach to the man. I enjoy discussing gender perceptions because its something that everyone could, in theory, have similar points of view but don’t. This topic comes up frequently among my friends mostly when it comes to gender roles in dating. Some of the group feel strongly about traditional gender roles and chivalry and others take on a more nonconventional look on the topic. Some believe that the guy should pay for everything and hold the doors open while others view dating as a shared experience in the way that both parties are on a date with the other and niceties should be kept even, such as the bill. But when people hear the word diversity they almost always jump to race. The point was brought up a few times in the discussion that a lot of Hixsons tend to come from small town Iowa where diversity isn’t a prominent characteristic. I know that personally I come from a town nicknamed by surround towns as “White Branch”. Racial diversity is not something I experienced growing up but my parents pushed curiosity and learning about others. I’m not afraid to ask people about their cultures and experiences. Its one of the things I fully enjoy in my life. My personal belief that there will always be someone out there that will be different than you in one way or another but ignorance of what that difference means spreads hate. The only way to overcome that is to talk and ask questions to learn and understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment